logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LAZMANNICK  
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 1:23:47 PM(UTC)
LAZMANNICK

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Lisa, that was a tremendous analogy of Shared Belief. You are very talented and knowledgeable about so many aspects of this sport. Every time you put something on paper it makes sense in that it’s so well thought out and true, not like our little HRN young ‘un, who every time he tries to make an intelligent argument, it is so difficult to comprehend what he’s trying to say because he is always blowing so much smoke. Don’t get me wrong, I admire these young people that show so much interest in the sport. What I don’t admire is the constant “schooling attitude” on every post that is made, like those of us who have followed this sport for years really don’t know what we’re talking about.

Here’s something else about Conquest Two Step. Going into that Malibu his next highest odds were 8-1 when finishing second in an allowance race at Churchill. His race immediately preceding the Malibu he was the 6-5 favorite in a 6.5F race that he won running down the hill at SA. When he broke his maiden he defeated Ride On Curlin, the same ROC that finished second to Chrome in the Preakness and actually gained 4 lengths on Chrome from the 6F mark to the finish.

Going into the Malibu Conquest Two Step was in the money in 7 out of his 8 lifetime starts which, after yesterday, we can make 9 out of 10. It is safe to assume that Conquest is a bona-fide sprinter, much like Secret Circle who, early on in his career and much like Conquest, they thought might be a good router. As it turned out both are superior sprinters and as such, Conquest Two Step was a tremendous overlay in the Malibu. The fact that he received a 104 Beyer yesterday when coming from well off the pace, and ran his final quarter in 23.96 supports this assumption.

With the double wipeout and continuous mugging by Marino through the first 16th of a mile or so in the BCC, and the fact that Shared Belief was at least around in that race in the end, showed that he is all class. Many horses would have quit, but he didn’t. And with his tremendous ability of synthetics, which equates reasonably well to having a better than average ability of turf, it’s quite possible that SB is one of those rare horses, like Wise Dan, that can perform with the best on any of the three surfaces, another indication of superior class, IMO, and also supports your statement that he could win at 12F.

IMO, Shared Belief is the best horse racing in North America today. He has the ability to run close to the pace or come from well out of it. Only four horses have ever won a G1 at 10F and 6F since the grading system came into effect. Shared Belief came close in that Malibu at 7 furlongs and appeared that even if it was a six furlong race, he would have still won it.
thanks 3 users thanked LAZMANNICK for this useful post.
Between Friends on 2/1/2015(UTC), UnionRagsRules on 2/1/2015(UTC), Lisa111 on 2/3/2015(UTC)
Sysonby  
#22 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 4:45:48 PM(UTC)
Sysonby

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I decided to take two courses in the fall in addition to working full-time, had to drop just about everything else. Now I'm only taking one course and on a break from work, wheeeeeee! Nice to see your posts again!
thanks 2 users thanked Sysonby for this useful post.
LAZMANNICK on 2/1/2015(UTC), Lisa111 on 2/4/2015(UTC)
Sysonby  
#23 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 4:56:54 PM(UTC)
Sysonby

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lisa111 Go to Quoted Post
Anna and Laz, Shared Belief has become my favorite working horse no matter what age! I still laugh when I see posts at that other website saying things like "He barely beat a 70-1 horse in the Malibu!" Cracks me up! They sorta leave out the fact that he actually beat 8 horses, the entire field, and not just one at 70-1. For some reason, many like to kick dirt in this little guys face after each and every win he has. And those that do have no clue that SB has never run at his optimum distance and most likely on his optimum surface yet. As far as other favorite 4 year olds, I still have real respect for Tapiture and I think Toast of New York is another who has alot more to show us.

BigGrin BigGrin Sysonby, wish you would post more often!!!!!!!!BigGrin BigGrin

I was taking two courses and working full time for the last few months so everything else had to go, back now with only one course and taking a break from work, wheeeee!
thanks 1 user thanked Sysonby for this useful post.
LAZMANNICK on 2/2/2015(UTC)
cocoa2  
#24 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 5:49:53 PM(UTC)
cocoa2

Groups: Special Users
Man

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 87 post(s)
One would think a bitter old man like you, Laz, might be able to post on here without some backhand remark at me or HRN, but then again, few know your true disgusting attitude or are blinded by your willingness to attempt to decipher individual fractions through flawed numbers representations of a length in time. Posting something that doesn't agree with you is not automatically schooling. IMO, Shared Belief is the biggest fraud in Horse Racing today and his dependence on synthetics will be his downfall. Unless he plans on running in Golden Gate allowances for the rest of the year, or decides to start facing such tough customers on dirt as Candy Boy, Conquest Two Step, and Fed Biz (the latter outside of his preferred distance), he will end up losing, perhaps quite badly. Even a horse as mediocre as Palace Malice could probably take him
LAZMANNICK  
#25 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 5:57:21 PM(UTC)
LAZMANNICK

As usual you aren't worth replying too Cocoa, but I still have a hard time resisting. Go back to the fantasy land site little young 'un. And learn how to spell bitter, it's better, not bitter.
cocoa2  
#26 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2015 6:05:10 PM(UTC)
cocoa2

Groups: Special Users
Man

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Ahh, taking the route out I see after someone actually stood up to you and all of HRF didn't praise your unholy ass (spelled U-N-H-O-L-Y A-S-S)
Lisa111  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 8:39:22 AM(UTC)
Lisa111

Groups: Moderator

Was thanked: 433 time(s) in 235 post(s)
Laz, thank you so much for the kind words. Coming from you, means alot.

After all is said and done when it comes to this particular horse, one opinion that I do hold true, is that I almost feel sorry for those who do not fully grasp what they are witnessing. Horses like this are so rare throughout a lifetime, and while we are all blessed to see the brilliance of it while the horse is around to compete, inevitably it will all come to an end just as quickly as it started. Unfortunate for those that can not comprehend what they are actually witnessing, and will one day in the far future, view old replays of this little guy and then it will hit them like a ton of bricks.

We shall enjoy every minute of it while in the present!!
Wink Wink

Here's a funny story... I had my 8 year old nephew over when the Malibu stakes was run. Before the race, I was explaining to him how the horse with the jockey in the black cap wasnt the fastest runner on the field, but how he likes to be fussed over after he wins so he tries real hard all time and how he always wants to be the best and he always succeeds. I told him that no matter what, he's gonna find a way to cross that finish line first. I was kinda giving the kid a little lesson in life but I wasnt sure if he got it. He was really watching the race unfold and then down the stretch he started yelling "You can do it!!"

After the race, he said, "Can I come over the next time he runs and can I borrow some money. Just don't tell my Dad!" I think I taught him the wrong lesson!!!!

Edited by user Tuesday, February 03, 2015 9:10:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"It's what you can't see that matters most." - "Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons
thanks 2 users thanked Lisa111 for this useful post.
Between Friends on 2/3/2015(UTC), LAZMANNICK on 2/3/2015(UTC)
LAZMANNICK  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 11:30:35 AM(UTC)
LAZMANNICK

Great story Lisa. After reading about your young nephew and seeing how intelligently he reacted it makes me think that maybe the young 'uns really are taking over the world.
thanks 1 user thanked LAZMANNICK for this useful post.
Lisa111 on 2/4/2015(UTC)
Between Friends  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:46:50 PM(UTC)
Between Friends

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Lisa, have you seen Tom Pedulla's story about Shared Belief at the America's Best Racing website? Jerry Hollendorfer said he will seriously consider bringing SB to New York in the summer and fall for some New York's prestigious races while getting the horse ready for the Breeder's Cup at Keeneland. Wouldn't it be exciting if one of those races was the Woodward at Saratoga? While I like California Chrome, I have become a fan of Shared Belief and was disappointed that we did not get to see what might have happened in the Breeder's Cup Classic without all the trouble at the beginning of the race.
thanks 2 users thanked Between Friends for this useful post.
LAZMANNICK on 2/3/2015(UTC), Lisa111 on 2/4/2015(UTC)
Lisa111  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2015 6:15:23 AM(UTC)
Lisa111

Groups: Moderator

Was thanked: 433 time(s) in 235 post(s)
BF, thank you for alerting me to the article. I am going to search for it now. I will be so happy to have him come around and compete in this neck of the woods and actually have the opportunity to see him run in person. I swore to myself after the chaos and the madness that I found myself in last summer at Saratoga, that I would never go again, however, if SB makes the field in the Woodward, I'm going!! I'll just make sure to place my bets before arriving!

I know this is gonna sound weird but one of the main reasons that I have a strong liking for SB other than his ferocious need to win is that just before his 3rd race, the Cashcall Futurity, I was watching him in the post parade. In that moment, to me, he resembled Jackson Bend to a T. He looked just like him, built the same, walked the same, stood the same. Both little guys with a certain demeanor about them. At the time, SB was showing some of that great speed that JB had. The big difference was that SB was born with all that crazy stamina that JB unfortunately didnt posses. So, for me, SB became Jackson Bend with stamina. What's not to love about that!!??

The big photo is Shared Belief - The little photo is Jackson Bend. They even run the same!
sbjb

Edited by user Wednesday, February 04, 2015 7:06:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"It's what you can't see that matters most." - "Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons
thanks 2 users thanked Lisa111 for this useful post.
UnionRagsRules on 2/4/2015(UTC), LAZMANNICK on 2/4/2015(UTC)