logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kaitlinfree  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 5:53:40 PM(UTC)
kaitlinfree

Groups: Special Users
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 776 time(s) in 602 post(s)
just as i do every year, i make a blog post to remember those we lost in 2017. the horses that follow all passed away in the 2017 calendar year.

SHOOT OUT
this Australian Champion passed at age 10 after suffering complications from colic surgery

HELSINGE
was euthanized at age 16 after suffering an allergic reaction to medication. she is the dam of champions Black Caviar & All Too Hard

COPINGAWAY
this stakes winner was euthanized at age 4 after breaking down during the Ft. Lauderdale Stakes

MANY CLOUDS
collapsed & died at age 10 after winning the Cotswold Chase, suffering a pulmonary bleed. he was a multiple graded stakes winner on the jumps

THE BARKING SHARK
the popular gelding passed away at 24 after a severe bout of colic

PONTCHATRAIN
multiple graded stakes winner mare died due to foaling complications at age 7. her Curlin foal also passed away

ROMAN RULER
Haskell winner was euthanized due to severe laminitis at age 15

ROYAL DELTA
died of foaling complications at age 9. her Galileo filly survived. two time Breeders' Cup Champion, Eclipse 3YO Filly, Eclipse Champion Older Mare

LUCKY PULPIT
the sire of California Chrome fame passed away of an apparent heart attack while covering his first mare of the season at age 16

FAME AND GLORY
multiple grade 1 winner passed away at age 11 while covering a mare

SULAMANI
champion G1 winner was euthanized following a brief illness at age 18

CHARISMATIC
Horse of the Year found dead in his stall at Old Friends at age 21. Kentucky Derby & Preakness Champion, Eclipse 3YO Male

LOUIS QUATORZE
Preakness Winner passed away at age 24 after suddenly collapsing in his paddock

WHITE MUZZLE
passed away peacefully at age 27 due to the infirmities of old age, multiple G1 winner in Europe

GIANT OAK
multiple G1 winner was euthanized due to a neurological condition at age 11

ERTIJAAL
euthanized at age 6 after breaking down in a stakes race in Dubai

DANEHILL DANCER
Champion sire euthanized at age 24 due to infirmities of old age

STORMARDAL
euthanized at age 6 after breaking down in the Godolphin Mile

REVE DE SIVOLA
champion hurdler passed away at age 12 after breaking down in the Kelso Stakes

FIRE THE GROOM
G1 winner & top producing mare passed away at age 30 peacefully

ALMOONQITH
multiple graded stakes winner euthanized at age 7 following a fall in the Sydney Cup

SUPAH BLITZ
euthanized at age 17 following a broken pelvis & colic. multiple graded stakes winner & millionaire

BABY ZIP
dam of City Zip & Ghostzapper was euthanized due to laminitis at age 26

CAPE CROSS
champion was euthanized at age 23 due to the infirmities of old age

REACH THE WORLD
euthanized at age 3 after breaking down during training

DUKE ORA
popular gelding euthanized at Old Friends due to a neurological disorder at age 23

SWAN'S WAY
euthanized at Old Friends a few days after his best friend Duke Ora after suffering severe colic. he was 28

HEARTBREAK CITY
Melbourne Cup runner up was euthanized at age 7 after breaking a leg while training

RAPPER DRAGON
Hong Kong Triple Crown winner was euthanized at age 4 after suffering a broken pelvis in the Champions Mile

JUDGE'S CASE
euthanized at Old Friends due to a chronic orthopedic condition. he was 20

UNUSUAL HEAT
champion California sire was euthanized at age 27 after suffering laminitis & declining health

DEVIL HIS DUE
multiple G1 winner was euthanized at age 28 due to the infirmities of old age

VOLTA
graded stakes winner suffered a heart attack at age 4 while training

DIAMOND STRIPES
multiple graded stakes winner was euthanized at age 14 due to a sinus tumor. he was a long time resident of Old Friends

HOLY BULL
Hall of Famer & Horse of the Year was euthanized at age 26 due to the infirmities of old age

HANSEL
Preakness & Belmont Stakes champion was euthanized at 29 due to the infirmities of old age. Eclipse 3YO Male

NORUMBEGA
graded stakes winner was euthanized at age 7 following colic complications

STORMIN FEVER
Canadian champion sire was euthanized at age 23 due to the infirmities of old age

BENCHMARK
leading California sire was euthanized at age 26 due to the infirmities of old age

BETTER TALK NOW
Breeders' Cup Turf champion was euthanized at age 18 following complications from colic surgery

SOMEHOW
multiple graded stakes winner was euthanized following a fracture while galloping. she was 4

TINNERS WAY
multiple G1 winner was euthanized at Old Friends after becoming neurological. he was 27

BONAPAW
G1 winner was euthanized at age 21 due to complications from EPM. long time resident of Old Friends

CAPTAIN AL
champion South African sire. euthanized at age 20 following complications due to laminitis

BEN'S CAT
4 time Maryland Horse of the Year was euthanized at age 11 after suffering colic complications

CITY ZIP
multiple graded stakes winner was euthanized at age 19 due to laminitis

IGUGU*
South African Horse of the Year passed away due to foaling complications at age 9. died in late 2016 but wasn't reported for a year

DECARCHY
graded stakes winner was euthanized at age 20 due to laminitis

OKIE RIDE
very popular gelding collapsed & died at age 10 while galloping at Remington Park

PERMIAN
multiple graded stakes winner was euthanized following a breakdown in the Secretariat Stakes. he was 3

CALGARY CAT
Canadian champion sprinter collapsed & died at age 7 following the Play the King Stakes

GORELLA
multiple G1 winner passed away at age 15. reasons unknown, most likely foaling complications

PIKE PLACE DANCER
Kentucky Oaks winner passed away at age 24. reasons unknown

CAPE TOWN
G1 winner passed away at age 22. reasons unkown

PRESENTING
top National Hunt sire was euthanized at age 25 due to infirmities of old age

COME ON FLIP
multiple graded stakes winner was euthanized at age 26 due to chronic laminitis. long time resident of Old Friends

MEMORIES OF SILVER
top producer & G1 winner was euthanized at age 24 due to infirmities of old age

TEN CITY
stakes winner was euthanized at age 2 following a breakdown in the Claiborne Futurity

INSIDE INFORMATION
Hall of Famer passed away peacefully in her sleep at age 26. Eclipse Older Mare, her Breeders' Cup Distaff victory still holds the record for largest margin of victory in any Breeders' Cup race

UNSTOPPABLE U
stakes winner was euthanized in Puerto Rico after developing laminitis due to conditions following Hurricane Maria. he was 8

EFFINEX
multiple graded stakes winner passed away suddenly due to a pulmonary event at age 6

IRAP
multiple graded stakes winner was euthanized at age 3 following surgical complications resulting in laminitis

LURE
Hall of Famer was euthanized at age 28 due to infirmities of old age. 2 Time Breeders' Cup Mile winner

PENTIRE
largely important New Zealand based sire passed away at age 25 due to infirmities of old age

EL PADRINO
stakes winner was euthanized at age 8 due to colic complications

ADMIRE DEUS
multiple graded stakes winner was euthanized at age 6 after failing to recover from several life saving surgeries

WHYWHYWHY
Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf champ passed away at age 17 while in Korea. reasons unknown

CONQUEST CAVALRY
euthanized at age 4 after breaking down in the Sir Barton Stakes

FANCIFUL ANGEL
multiple stakes winner was euthanized at age 5 after a severe stall accident

ARCHIPENKO
multiple G1 winner was euthanized at age 13 after complications from a severe case of lymphoma

BLACKFRIARS
Australian champion sire was euthanized at age 21 after a paddock accident

SERVICE STRIPE
stakes winner was euthanized at age 26 due to the infirmities of old age

IT'S TRICKY
mulitple G1 winner passed away at age 9. reasons unknown, most likely foaling complications

ARUNA
G1 winner passed away at age 10. reasons unknown, most likely foaling complications

FUSAICHI RED
stakes winner was euthanized at age 5 after breaking down in the Garland of Roses Stakes

JERSEY GIRL
multiple G1 winner & top producer died at age 22 due to foaling complications

*a special RIP to all those we lost at SAN LUIS REY in the tragic fires. your memory shall never fade*
"it was like the Lord was holding the reins that day. Secretariat was one of his creatures & maybe he whispered to him "go.""
kaitlinfree  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 5:55:44 PM(UTC)
kaitlinfree

Woman
United States

OOPS ON THE TITLE! i meant those we lost in 2017!
"it was like the Lord was holding the reins that day. Secretariat was one of his creatures & maybe he whispered to him "go.""
Buckpasser  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 6:02:51 PM(UTC)
Buckpasser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 382 time(s) in 261 post(s)
Didn’t realize Igugu had died. Many Clouds was a wonderful National Hunt Horse. Sad about Inside Information and Norumbega
kaitlinfree  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 6:07:06 PM(UTC)
kaitlinfree

Woman
United States

@Buckpasser Igugu was an all time favorite of mine, i was devastated when i found out. i believe she died producing a Dubawi colt?
SSilence86  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 7:13:24 PM(UTC)
SSilence86

Groups: Moderator
United States

Was thanked: 457 time(s) in 326 post(s)
So many lost. Emotional to see this list, but the hardest that hit me I think was Charismatic & Ben's Cat.

Don't forget California Diamond who was just 1 of the many lost in the SLR fire.

Edited by user Sunday, December 31, 2017 7:15:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buckpasser  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 01, 2018 10:36:23 AM(UTC)
Buckpasser

Was thanked: 382 time(s) in 261 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kaitlinfree Go to Quoted Post
@Buckpasser Igugu was an all time favorite of mine, i was devastated when i found out. i believe she died producing a Dubawi colt?

I liked her a lot too. And didn’t know that she had died.
AnnaK  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:31:54 PM(UTC)
AnnaK

Was thanked: 217 time(s) in 178 post(s)
Some like Igugu & Pontchatrain & Royal Delta are so hard to take, Ben's Cat & my beloved Calgary Cat. Always the hardest list.
AnnaK  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 8:18:46 PM(UTC)
AnnaK

Was thanked: 217 time(s) in 178 post(s)